Amazon Interview QuestionSoftware Engineer / Developers
- 3of 3 votes
Had my first and second phone interview with Amazon. I was dropped. This site has been a great help towards my preparation and most questions are based on what you find here.
Posting my Questions is a small way of saying Thanks!
1. What is polymorphism.
2. Design an OO parking lot. What classes and functions will it have. It should say, full, empty and also be able to find spot for Valet parking. The lot has 3 different types of parking: regular, handicapped and compact.
3. Coding: I have an integer array where every number appears even number of times and only one appears odd times. Find the number.
(I said hashtable and he asked me to write code with Hashtable)
4. What data structure would you use to look up phone numbers for customer names.
(I said Hashtable. Asked why hashtable, why not a tree. I said HT has O(1). Asked is order always 1, when more than O(1) in HT.
1. Starter: Describe your college projects.
2. OO Design: Design a deck of cards. What classes, data structures will you use? How will you shuffle the cards? How will you divide (deck) among players. What class/function do you need to denote players and where will you add them? What class/function do you need to deck? What if I need to add 2 jokers to the deck of 52 cards.
3. Data Structures: How will you use a hashtable to find data in a tree. (Then he rephrased) suppose I have a hashtable, I want to store the data in a tree instead of a bucket. How will I do it. What complexity to find an element.
4. Bits & Bytes: Find if a binary representation of a number is palindrome. The function should work irrespective of number of bytes for an integer. Suppose if our machine is 4 bytes for an int, how will you use the program for 8 byte machine.
5. Unix: Suppose I have 100's of html files in many directories. I want to find the files having phone numbers.
b) Suppose I have 2 files having phone numbers, find the repeating phone numbers. (I said sort and grep). Then he asked what if the lines cannot be sorted.
All the best guys. I think the second interview was challenging since the interviewer was prodding until he heard a leave me alone. So it means that though they are based on questions in cc, be prepared for extensions. I think this site is all you need to prepare for Amazon interview.