Amazon Interview Question for Principal Software Engineers
- 0of 0 votes
Design a distributed key-value store that can perform the following- neer.1304 May 27, 2020 in United States
Store a set of attributes (value) against a particular key (k)
Fetch the value stored against a particular key (k)
Delete a key (k)
- Perform a secondary index scan to fetch all key along with their attributes where one of the attribute values is v.
Key can have a value consisting of multiple attributes.
Each attribute will have name, type associated (primitive types - boolean, double, integer, string) & type has to be identified at run time.
1) Key = delhi has 2 attributes ( pollution_level & population)
2) Key = jakarta has 3 attributes (latitude, longitude, pollution_level)
3) Key = bangalore has 4 attributes (extra - free_food)
4) Key = india has 2 attributes (capital & population)
5) Key = crocin has 2 attributes (category & manufacturer)
Example of Secondary index:
Get all keys (cities) where pollution_level is high. Get all medicines by manufacturer (GSK)
So, in a nutshell, value must be strongly typed when defined.
1. Attribute is uniquely identified by its name (latitude, longitude etc.
2. Data type of the attribute is defined at the first insert. (i.e. data type of pollution_level is set when key = delhi is inserted)
3. Once data type is associated with a particular attribute, it cannot be changed.
(i.e. free_food when defined takes type = boolean, hence, any key when using the attribute - free_food must allow only boolean values on subsequent inserts/updates)
Highly scalable - Support for high throughput with very low latency
Shared nothing architecture i.e. Support for Multiple nodes and each node is independent & self-sufficient.
Stretch - Smart client i.e. clients being aware of available servers & makes smart routing based on that available information.
| Report Duplicate | Flag | PURGE
Amazon Principal Software Engineer Computer Architecture & Low Level
Open Chat in New Window